Bulk (large quantity) Mail Services
Bulk Mail is a general term describing large quantity mailings that can qualify for postage discounts. In order to qualify for these discounts such mailings must be processed and addressed through Distribution. The U.S. Postal Service has specific regulations and procedures for the processing of bulk mail. If these regulations are not followed, the USPS will return the mailing for resorting. Unapproved or incorrect use of the University Non-Profit Permit can jeopardize the University’s Non-Profit mailing privileges. If these mailings are not addressed by Distribution, they will not qualify as a "bulk" mailing, or receive any postage discounts.
- Always print and send us at least 25 extra pieces of you mailing to aid us compensating for machine errors and in setting up the job.
- Non-profit and Standard class mail qualifies at the least expensive letter rates at up to 6 x 9 (vertical) x (horizontal) inches in size. Magazines and larger flat mailers also qualify for Non-profit rates. We have FREE templates to help with your design.
- No tape, staples, or small hand tabs on folded self-mailers.
- Allow at least 4 (horizontal) x 2 (vertical) inches of clear space for the address to be printed on the mail piece.
- It is wise to leave the bottom 5/8 inch of any mail piece clear of printing, the Post Office often uses this space for a bar code label.
- It is always a good idea to talk to us, or get approval on an anticipated bulk mailing.
- Samples of permit imprints for First Class Presort, Non-profit, and Standard mail can be obtained from Distribution.
- Samples of acceptable mailing formats can be found here!
- Samples of unacceptable mailing formats can be found here!
To qualify for a “First-Class Presort" class bulk mailing, you must have a minimum of 500 pieces. All mail pieces must be the same weight. All pieces must be sent within the U.S. and Distribution must process through NCOA (National Change of Address) and have an Intelligent Mail Bar Code applied.
Standard Class and Non-Profit
To qualify for a “Standard" class or a "Non-Profit" class bulk mailing, you must have a minimum of 200 pieces. All mail pieces must be identical material and weight. All pieces must be sent within the U.S. and Distribution must process through NCOA (National Change of Address) and have an Intelligent Mail Bar Code applied.